Monday, May 21, 2012

Agents, Agents Everywhere ....

So last week was a busy one. I've been meeting with theatrical agents (and I'm referring here, you understand, to their vocational calling rather than their personas). Anyway it's a bit early to get side-tracked so... as you know I've been going on about various agents for a couple of months now it seems, so if, like me, you're losing track of all the agent talk and who represents me for what ... at the moment it looks like this:

UK Agent: BWH (Joe Hutton and Bill Petrie (or Bill & Ted if as far as mum and dad are concerned))
US Manager: Schachter Entertainment (Brantley Brown)
US Commercial Agent: Innovative Artists(Michele De La Riva)
US VoiceOver Agent: Innovative Artists  (Luanne Regis)
US Theatrical Agent: ............. [drumroll] .......... Domain Talent (Gabrielle Krengel)

And it's this gap that we were able to fill this week. After a constant barrage of emails from me, as well as new headshots, coupled with the end of pilot season mayhem, my manager set me up meetings with some 'boutique' (code for 'small') agencies for potential representation.

Now this may come as as a suprise to some but I would rather be an hour early for a meeting than a minute late. As such I spend a fair bit of time waiting for the appropriate moment before heading in to a meeting. Nobody however could have anticipated my turning up A WEEK early to my first agency appointment. Impressive, no!?? Only the head honcho, the guy who started the organisation! was in the office at the time and as luck would have it, we had a laugh about it, had a quite long chat anyway and he told me to come back again next week so I could meet with the rest of the team.

I've met with all the arranged agencies since, all with very different feels to them and it was pretty much the same set up each time and I was given the same ever-useful advice from my manager each time - be yourself only far more charming.

Anyway it was at this first meeting that the head agent said that he'd rung the casting director of my last audition (on my manager's suggestion) and that she raved about me. Which was news to me. I don't tend to hear my feedback so this was doubly nice to get. So I am doing it right!! Admittedly I was playing a well spoken MI6 agent - so not TOO far out of my remit but I'll take the praise none the less. Anyway all this goes to explain what I've been up to this week. Now all these informal chats went well, but I got the distinct feeling the same conversations would have gone down even better if my resumé had been more impressive.

Anyway I found myself today in the unlikely situation of being offered representation at three of the prospective agencies and after consulting with my manager and UK agent we unanimously settled on Domain Talent, who seem to have a great work ethic, stunning offices and agents I really got on with. This is great news and I'm ecstatic but I'm also under no illusions - you can't pay the rent with representation alone -if that were the case, I'd be driving my 67 Mustang by now - but hopefully it brings me lots of opportunities and the rest as they say is up to me.

Thanks for looking in guys.

p.s. If you missed my blog update yesterday about my new headshots be sure to check out the older posts in the right side-bar or just click here.

2 comments:

  1. How good and well connected is Schachter Entertainment as it's not UTA or WMA. Ran across your blog post in a Google search for some reviews or background about their quality in getting young actors (esp Brit) ones broke into the N. American viewing market. Seems alot of Irish actors are getting into cable shows or fantasy genre network shows. I am following a few of you jumping the waters to the US and into the scary shark infested Hollywood scene.

    Good luck. Be safe, watch your back. Cheers from a Yank fannish geek girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya,
    Thanks for the reply. Schachter have been great in getting me connected and in the right rooms in L.A. They're a really hard working team and I've got nothing but good things to say about 'em.
    I know what you mean about the Irish actors in Network television - they seem to have taken over the baton from the Australians. Thanks for the interest and as always, watch this space.
    T

    ReplyDelete