Sunday, August 7, 2011

U.S.A. 01-VISAs: 'Aliens of Extraordinary Talent'


Having been over in LA for Pilot Season this year I saw enough of the industry and how it works to realise that competing without a VISA isn't exactly a numbers game. You can of course be submitted for the very best roles (where getting a visa pushed through by the studio in no time at all is a given) but unless you are plucked from obscurity as being perfect for the role, you can't realistically compete: You need an 01 Visa.

There are plenty of immigration lawyers out there happy to file a case for you and they will gladly have you part with as much cash as they think they can squeeze you for, so negotiate. I was recommended a guy and his price seemed reasonable. I made sure that the price I was quoted ($3,800) included EVERYTHING, transferred half that amount (International transfer fee (£28)) then compiled all the necessities:

Any promotional materials; screen grabs from all productions; programmes; interviews; press clippings; a power point presentation of your CV detailing who broadcast it/ directed it/ was in it; letters of recommendation from established industry folk; proof of exceptional earnings, awards and or achievements in your field (acting); cerificates to prove training, qualifications, skills; headshots...it goes on!!

With my 'pack' ready I transferred the balance I owed, filled out a load of forms and waited. I didn't however have an offer of employment and this is a deal-breaker. My immigration lawyer was under the impression that my manager could 'provide/vouch' for an offer of employment for me. They're reputable and don't have a film production arm so couldn't play ball (which would've been illegal ... so fair enough). Since this was all a mix up I was transferred back my funds.

There are companies willing to 'create' an offer of employment for you and take care of everything down to finding you a place to stay however they often cost the earth. I wasn't willing to part with the $8-10,000 for the privilege.

I have since been fortunate enough to receive an offer of employment so I submitted my pack through a Brit I'd consulted out in LA during Pilot Season. I managed to haggle him down as I'd done most of the preparation for the previous one. He even said I was incredibly organised! my case was approved almost a month ago but I had to get a few things in order (police check (£75) before booking my interview ($150) at the U.S Embassy (that building in London with all the flags)

Today I went for my meeting at the US embassy, had my fingerprints taken and handed over the countless forms as well as a  2" x 2" photo required ($15 from Snappy Snaps (which I REALLY resented paying -  my headshots were denied for not having a plain background when I tried to upload one for free). There were two very short interviews at glass screen booths and it was very much a case of 'Good Cop/ Bad Cop'; a chat then an interrogation. Anyway I told them what I was over there for and I was approved. Over the moon that it's all gone through now and they are mailing it out to me in the next 3-5 working days (£14.50 for the cheapest option courier)

In other news, the Embassy operates an Airport security policy and it turns out they won't even let you in with a fork to eat your lunch. Apparently chop sticks are fine though.  Any electrical devices are also banned - so no mobile phones which is a real pain as you either have to leave it at home or pay to put it in a locker. I was invited to pay and store the fork in a locker down the road but I stashed it in a bush and got it later SUMMERS-1 - US EMBASSY-0 hahaha SCREW YOU GUYS!!

Anyways I hope this has been helpful. If you have any Qs, or for immigration lawyer details, get in touch and I'll try and help (just follow me on twitter by clicking this link @tristamsummers). If you want to be notified about my next industry blog, or what I'm up to, make sure you put your email in the box on the top left margin. Finally to see my latest blog post click here.

1 comment:

  1. As we are the Top Visa services consultants for United States of America, We know exactly what documents you need to carry for your Visa interview as per your case. Most of the Applicants Not required to carry most of the Documents Depends on Applicant to Applicant we will suggest the Documents to you to carry for your interview.usa b1 b2 visa consultants

    ReplyDelete