Friday, April 20, 2012

Getty Centre

It's in all the guide books. It's renowned around the world. More than a little touristy I know, but while my girlfriend was over for a couple of weeks it worked as the perfect destination to cram into an already jam-packed fortnight (so plenty of touristy updates to come). The Getty Centre! Oh and just in case you were thinking of it, it's not open on Mondays - we made that mistake!!
Instead of charging an entrance fee, the Centre charges for parking and at $15 it's definitely worth it. Next you make your way up the side of what looks like a mountain to the Centre itself. The architecture is sort of Spanish in feel but modern and far more angular. It looks like they made everything out of the same stuff as my Mum's kitchen floor. The views of L.A are impressive and the artwork equally so. Basically (from the little I gathered) some really really rich guy with a massive collection of paintings decided that he would bequeth it to the city so that more than just him and his family might enjoy them.


(This feller was my favourite of all the exhibits - The love child of Asterix & James Dean)

I didn't realise how much of a big deal the complex is and last year I was acually given the opportunity to live with the curator of the Getty Center. As most of you will know, I'd set my heart on living near the sea  - away from downtown and her house was really impressive but it was in Burbank and apart from the studios, dare I say there's almost nothing else to the area. A great little bar called Henry's Hat where we had an entirely free evening - food, drink THE LOT (and got completely smashed I should add) because they cocked up our order. Anyway I'm losing the point.

The highlight was what one of the security guides called the 'Celebrity Impressionists' Room - Cezanne, Monet, Manet, Van Gogh. Everything reminded me of The Thomas Crown Affair, right down to the 'Haystacks' hanging on the wall!




A great way to spend an afternoon. One of L.A's 'must do's'
Thanks for looking in guys

No comments:

Post a Comment