Monday, March 14, 2011

Venice Beach

Hi guys,

I know it's been ages since I updated this blog and I've had a kick up the backside from a few of you so thought I'd pull my finger out.

I've been pretty busy the last few weeks. I've had some great castings and met some big casting directors and made myself at home in this random and eclectic city. My girlfriend Michelle came out to see me for a week and a friend from uni flew over from Chicago to catch up and get away from the arctic cold they're having.

I don't know where to start but thought I'd write about Venice as I've spent more and more time there lately. it's sort of the Camden of the West Coast, L.A's Nimben mixed with a street performer Covent Garden vibe. I've uploaded a quick video on my youtube account (click the right hand image (above) of the concrete and bluc sky) which should give you a bit of an insight into how truly random this place is.

Has anybody seen my bye-noc-u-lars!?


And this is just the start of this trippy town.

There's so much going on in this tiny little alcove on the coast. There are literally hundreds of "pharmacies" who can all diagnose you with 'glaucoma' or 'depression' or 'athritis' and then prescribe the appropriate medicine (as long as it's marijuana) and each shack has their touts outside with banners and waving in a way that reminds you of Brick Lane.

Muscle beach is right next door, which lives up to its reputation, where scantily clad bruisers - who can no longer wipe their own asses - strut about in danger of toppling over at any moment, making the 'average-Tris-on-the-street' feel inadequate and presumably driving the rest to a dope-induced-haze.


Venice's Beach is great, and is where I first started to surf (see earlier post...or not) but it's the people and the buzz that makes this town incredible. Every shop in Abbott Kinney Blvd (the high street) is completely different from the last in virtually any way. Boutiquey shops and cool bars and restaurants with a coffee house like a page out of the Monmouth Coffee manual! The restaurant/bar G Jelina's above is always busy and gives you a feel of how arty this place is. Dont' get me wrong - some areas I'm sure are proper sketchy but only in Venice would you find a man who makes a living out of jumping over 5 non-suspecting tourists. There's a guy who stands in his underpants on a bar stool holding 3 live snakes - at least, I think they're live (i'll come back to you) and that's his whole act. There's a freak-show down the way, showing a cat with 2 heads, a dog with 5 legs and a chicken with 3 wings (don't tell the colnel or it'll be bred on mass quicker than you can say 'secret blend of spices.'

it's right on a cycle path that runs all the way to Malibu and beyond and there are more skaters, runners and more types of bike than is reasonable. i've seen penny-farthings, unicycles, low-riders, trikes, choppers, reclined bikes, electric bikes, race bikes, BMXs, scooters and even a cross-trainer bike!!! And that's not to mention the different skate-boards (massive skate park on the beach) and the segways.

I know I havn't really filled you in on what I've been up to, so i'll try and update sooner next time. I hope you're all well.

I'll leave you with the words of the great John McClane "Now I have a machine gun Ho-Ho-Ho"

T

No comments:

Post a Comment